For students and practitioners of complementary and alternative therapy everywhere.
Getting Referrals by Barry Neale
Alternative/complementary therapists tell me everyday that the way they generate the most new clients is through referrals. Yet they don't seem to grasp the power of this statement. Few if any therapists harness the true power of referrals by making the receiving of systematic referrals a cornerstone of their marketing efforts.
First let me tell you why you need to do this.
1. Referrals are credible right from the start. When a trusted
friend tells you about a therapist you transfer that trust to
this person...even if you've never heard of them before.
2. People who are referred to a therapist tend to spend more
money. Research has proven this beyond the shadow of a doubt
and it is likely because people tend to refer other who are
highly qualified and not just tyre kickers or price shoppers.
3. Referrals are very cost-effective. In some cases free or
a fraction of what you might pay in advertising costs.
In some industries, like consulting and professional services
most companies are chosen solely on the recommendation of a
Are you getting your referrals...if not consider these
1. Expect to get referrals but don't assume you will. Talk about
them early and often and build them into your conversations and
marketing efforts...don't wait for people to offer them.
2. Create a system. It can be as simple as advertising £10 [20 dollars] for every referral.
3. Follow-up by phone or mail asking for referrals.
4. Give every client 3 business cards. Look in your drawer
you've got hundreds. Give them out to clients and they may
just pass them along.
Referrals are essential to building your practice so don't overlook
them while spending a fortune on Yellow Pages or newspaper ads.
Barry Neale PhD is Certified Trainer of Clinical Hypnotherapy and NLP and runs a successful practice in Essex UK. He was the co-creator of the £1000 per day hypnotherapy system and regularly runs seminars on how to set up a highly profitable hypnotherapy practice. www.hypnosistraining-learnhypnosis.com
Copyright 2006 B Neale PhD